Monday, March 4, 2013

VINTAGE and GOLD

This weekend I went antique/vintage shopping and came across an amazing find!  Shopping for vintage pieces takes time and a lot of imagination.  I'm sure several people had passed by this dress thinking "it's just too fancy" or "this length and fabric is something my grandma would wear". But when I saw it, I immediately had to have it

By pairing this textile with a belted cardigan (J.Crew) and cognac-colored boots (Bandolino), it takes on a fresher look.  Instead of adding more neutral tones to the dress, I chose vibrant hues of blues and oranges (complementary colors) for the scarf and cardigan. 
Jewelry should be simple, since the dress has so much character. Rust, beaded earrings (Macy's) are a great complement to the turquoise scarf 

This outfit would also be perfect for a night out or a wedding with a few edits to the accessories.  Glam the outfit up with a gold belt and heels (tan or even metallic gold).  Footed tights with open toe heels are a fashion no-no, so I would layer footless nude tights underneath.  You'd think it would be easy finding footless tan, nude or even brown tights, but it was definitely a challenge.  The best pair I've been able to find is at a dancewear store.



Style Tip of the Day: Dress hem lines, more often than not, can be adjusted.  When I bought the dress above, there was an extra 2 inches of fabric in the hem.  I wanted more length and less leg, so I removed the stitching and made a new hem line with just 1/2 inch left of fabric.  The original hem line shouldn't be the reason you're saying, "NO to the dress!" 

 
Pin It!

1 comment: